- Concrete reflects light, which increases
visibility and can save on street lighting
Reduced wet spray
- Concrete never ruts. There's NO risk of
water accumulating in ruts and causing
Best traction grip
- Concrete pavements are easily "roughed up"
during construction to create a surface that
provides superior traction.
Rigid for life
- Concrete actually hardens over time. After
its first month in place, concrete continues
to slowly gain 10 percent in strength during
Outlasts flexible materials
- With an average life span of 30 years,
concrete makes the best long-term pavement
Exceeds its own life expectancy
- Concrete pavements frequently outlast
their designed life expectancy and traffic
Concrete stays smoother longer
- The rigidity of concrete pavements allows
it to keep its smooth riding surface long
Smoothness most important issue for users
- Smoother pavements create safer, more
comfortable transportation surfaces.
- Concrete can withstand even the heaviest
traffic loads. There's no need to worry
about ruts, shoving or washboard effects
common with asphalt pavements.
- Concrete's hard surface makes it easier
for rolling wheels. Studies have even shown
that this can increase truck fuel
Variable life expectancy
- Concrete pavements can be designed to last
from 10 to 50 years, depending upon the
for distressed asphalt
- Whitetopping, a process of placing a thin
layer of fiber-reinforced concrete over
prepared asphalt, is a cost-effective,
expedient method of rehabbing old pavements.
choice for worn concrete
- Concrete pavement restoration techniques
can extend the life of pavements up to nine
times their original design life.
- Concrete pavements are by far the best
long-term value because of their longer life
expectancies and minimal maintenance
- The durability of concrete minimizes the
need for annual repairs or maintenance. When
repairs are necessary, they are typically
smaller in scope than asphalt pavements.
- Concrete pavement can be built and open to
traffic in as little as 12 hours.
Southwest Concrete Pavement Association
2929 Westminster Ave # 2686
Seal Beach, CA, 90740
Copyright © 2015 Southwest Concrete Pavement
Association - All Rights Reserved